Wednesday, December 9, 2015

If men could get pregnant...

I think it's in the third season of Veep that Julia Louis-Dreyfus declares: 

'If men could get pregnant you'd be able to get an abortion at an ATM.' 

This is SO true and SO hilarious to me that if I'd been pregnant at the time of watching it, I think I'd have had a spontaneous abortion on the spot, which might have made things easier. But no; I've never had or wanted/needed an abortion.

But... that doesn't mean I can't see the epic hypocrisy of men laying down the law and challenging women's right to have access to safe abortions, a subject it's best not to talk to me about at close quarters, or at all, if you value your hearing.

And so when this little poetic piece appeared last week, comparing women's access to abortions with men's access to guns, the one being almost impossible in some states of America and the other, almost impossibly easy in all states, I thought it my responsibility to share it with all my loyal and much valued little blog babies - apologies for tiny font. Not sure why, perhaps it's baby font. Enjoy!   

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun
 like every woman who wants to get an abortion — mandatory 
48-hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor 
proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to 
watch about the effects of gun violence, an ultrasound wand 
up the ass (just because). 
Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and 
make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, 
and stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun. 
Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos 
of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him 
a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.
It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns
than with women and health care, right? I mean, no woman 
getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds, right?"
(Anonomous)

2 comments:

  1. Indeed. On Facebook it's been shared by, of all people, our old friend Janis Ian. Good on her too.

    ReplyDelete